Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Scottish independence, ‘Yours for Scotland’ warrior Bill Walker is in Court facing assault charges, ex wife tells court she got punched in the face shortly before her wedding day, where’s Bill’s close colleague Nicola Sturgeon?



















Dear All

The trial of Nationalist MSP Bill Walker is getting hot like a scandal episode of a television soap opera. One of his ex wives has told a court he punched her in the eye two weeks before their wedding.

Bill Walker, a close colleague of Scotland’s unpopular Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is on trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

Where’s Nicola?

Bill Walker is accused of a string of assaults against four women over a 28 year period.

Where’s Nicola?

Is this one battle that where she doesn’t want to be seen at when a “yours for Scotland” warrior is in action?

Best not to turn up, after all, Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon are at present trying to woo the women’s vote with tales of nirvana, milk and honey and everything will be peachy in the garden.

Bill Walker’s first wife Maureen Traquair has graphically told the court she had to buy concealer for their wedding day in January 1967.

Apparently she wanted to look her best on her wedding, and a black eye would spoil anyone’s wedding photos on the big day.

“Yours for Scotland” Walker is alleged to have assaulted her on three occasions at addresses in Edinburgh.

Ms Traquair, 66, said:

"It was two weeks before we married and I was hit on the eye by Bill. I had a black eye for two weeks and we had to go and buy green make up for the actual wedding."

One can only wonder how a jury sitting listening to this tale unfold will react to that gem of domestic bliss.

She then told the court about the couple's life in Chicago, America, Chicago is called the ‘windy city’ and it appears that according to Ms Traquair, Bill Walker has plenty to say about the issues of the modern woman working.

She said:

"Bill didn't want me to work, he was quite clear that his wife would not work. I had to refuse the first job I was offered."

Ms Traquair however decided to take employment and went on to describe an occasion after she had started a job.

As a good gesture, she bought her husband a gold watch for Christmas with her first pay cheque.

Everyone loves presents, especially at Christmas, but Bill apparently wasn’t pleased, she added:

"He opened it then he stood up and left the apartment and threw it down the chute to the furnace.  He said I was to hand my notice in at the first opportunity and that I wasn't allowed to work."

Bill Walker is one of Alex Salmond’s biggest cheerleaders in Holyrood, Bill thumps the table at Holyrood when Salmond rallies the troops for battle.

Asked by rising star fiscal depute Les Brown about her clothes, she said:

"Bill would take me out and he would approve or disapprove. I had to try the clothes on and he would decide whether or not I could have it."

Such a style guru, I had no idea, and as I recall Alex Salmond is pretty adamant about the ‘talent’ in the SNP.

Here is his exact quote:

“my problem is that I have too many talented people and not enough Cabinet positions”.

Bill Walker, a talented man, possibly in line for controlling Scottish broadcasting in an independent Scotland?

Dress sense with Walker!

As well as enjoying America, Bill and his wife also lived in France.

Viva La France!

However, France, a land of love wasn’t so lovely for her, as she described how on another occasion she had returned home late, Bill Walker wasn’t happy.

She said:

"He was furious that his meal wasn't made. I was told my place was in the kitchen."

Hasn’t he ever heard of cereal? Surely emergency cornflakes must have been in the home!

Hasn’t he heard of takeaway?

What about toast and scrambled egg?

After France, the couple returned home to Scotland, this is where she described an assault after confronting him about suspicions he was seeing another woman.

Ms Traquair continued:

"I said I believed there was another woman involved. He said there wasn't and then he hit me on the face, a hard slap on my face."

The couple was divorced but rekindled their relationship in about 1984, during a meeting when she had decided to call the chance to re-marry off; she said he was again violent towards her.

Ms Traquair added:

"He tore the engagement ring off my finger. I told him 'you've made it easy for me, I've no intention of marrying you ever again'."

Under cross examination by Walker's lawyer, solicitor advocate Gordon Martin, Ms Traquair denied that she was telling a "pack of lies designed to destroy him out of vengeance."

She responded:

"He knows what he did. I'm not lying. I'm not a person who is vengeful. I'm here because the police came to me and asked me to answer questions."

If I was sitting in that jury, I would have to look at Gordon Martin, what a gift for a Fiscal Service;

“I'm here because the police came to me and asked me to answer questions."

Rather knocks his line of questioning out of the park!

Let’s just remind ourselves of that classic line again:

“I'm here because the police came to me and asked me to answer questions."

Nationalist MSP Bill Walker denies 23 charges of assault and one of breaching the peace.

The MSP’s alleged victims are Maureen Traquair, Anne Walker, Anne Louise Paterson and Diana Walker between January 1967 and January 1995.

The alleged assaults are said to have taken place at addresses in Edinburgh, Stirling, Midlothian and Alloa.

Bill Walker, of Alloa, Clackmannanshire has lodged a special defence of self defence in relation to three of the charges.

It seems that there are quite a lot of witnesses rounded up by the Crown for this case so it could take quite a while.

Despite the SNP being notified about Bill Walker prior to the Holyrood 2011 election, it doesn’t appear yet again that anyone at the SNP HQ was listening.

One of the alleged victims’ relatives also went to seek help from Scotland’s unpopular Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, and as is the old story with the Scottish National Party, complaints not investigated properly.

How do we know that?

There is a trial before Sheriff Katherine Mackie.

Bill Walker was elected as an SNP MSP for the Dunfermline constituency and according to reports; he has experience of fighting against knives!

Don’t expect Nicola Sturgeon to be anywhere near this, she is trying to win the Scottish women’s vote, however, Ms Traquair looks like she has already captured it.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

No comments: