Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Labour MP Austin Mitchell pays back £10,459 in the Westminister MP expenses scandal before Sir Thomas Legg's announcements and he is 'sorry'




















Dear All

Labour MP Austin Mitchell is one of the Labour Party’s high profile MPs appearing on television on a regular basis.

But now he has found infamy on top of his fame and has to repay more than £10,000 in parliamentary expenses.

He has been found to have broken the rules on claims for mortgages.

He said;

"Sir Tom Legg's re-analysis of MPs' Additional Costs Allowances (ACA) has discovered an error in my mortgage claims which has resulted in an overpayment of £10,549. Sir Tom's analysis is correct.

Everything in the expenses scandal involving Labour MPs is an error.

This begs the question about the calibre of Labour MPs and their ability to understand the rules they work by in regard to claiming expenses.

As usual when a Labour MP is caught, he has said;

“I am sorry”!

Always looks good to the public the sack cloth and ashes bit.

However, he has done the politically expedient thing and got his apology in before Sir Thomas Legg’s announcement, effectively killing the story.

Mitchell said;

"I am releasing this information now ahead of whatever announcements Sir Tom Legg makes on claims for repayment by the generality of members because I have no wish to contest his ruling in my case. I am sorry."

This allows him to issue the “I have moved on and the matter is closed” statement to any future reporter.

He pays back £10,549 but he won’t be the last.

He says that the bank changed his mortgage in 2006 without his knowledge so I wonder will be chasing them up to find out whom authorised it?

Or will he just want the issue buried?

I know I would want to find out but would he?

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donatе button!
I'd without a doubt donate to this fantastic blog! I guess for now i'll settlе foг bοok-mаrking and
аdԁing уοur RSS feеԁ
to my Gοogle acсοunt. Ӏ lοok fогwaгd to neω
upԁateѕ аnd wіll talκ about thіs blog ωith my
Facebook group. Chat soon!

My webpage ... ft worth seo