Sunday, July 12, 2009

20 minutes in the life of George Laird


Dear All

Last night I was travelling home on the 54 bus when all hell broke out. A commotion started down the front of the bus as a woman realised that her elderly friend had taken ill. At first no one seemed to know the seriousness of the situation as it appeared that her pal was still conducting a conversation with her sick friend.

Then the woman getting no response cried out that she couldn’t feel a pulse.

The driver pulled the bus over and came to see what the problem was; the old lady was still sitting in her seat having not cried out in pain at any time. Someone then said to move her into the bus well to lay her down flat.

I thought she was being moved so that first aid was getting carried out but I was wrong, the driver who I expected to take charge and administered mouth to mouth and first aid stayed motionless.

I was up the back when the hysteria started and after the bus stopped half the passengers done a runner.

After realising the seriousness I acted getting the driver to help me move her from the well of the bus to the buggy area, I started mouth to mouth and CPR till the ambulance turned up and the paramedics did their thing.

I then helped the ambulance staff by carrying the oxygen cylinder to their vehicle.

I tried my very best to save her.

Her name was Ann; she was in her mid 70’s and had just returned from having a day out with her friend down the coast.

I don’t think she suffered.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

No comments: